Job Title: Fresno Youth Organizer
Reports To: Lead Organizer, Central Valley
Status: Temporary part-time position up to 15 hours per week; $10.50 per hour; March through June 2018
About GSA Network:
Genders & Sexualities Alliance Network (GSA Network) is a national next-generation LGBTQ racial and gender justice organization that empowers and trains trans, queer and allied youth leaders to advocate, organize, and mobilize an intersectional movement for safer and healthier schools. GSA Network of California currently runs a network of more than 1100 GSA clubs throughout California. The Fresno office of GSA Network strives to provide resources and trainings to GSAs throughout the Central Valley Region. You can learn more about our work at www.gsanetwork.org.
GSA Network is seeking an experienced LGBTQ youth organizer and activist to support our work in the Central Valley. Under the supervision of our lead organizer, this position will assist GSA programmatic work primarily in Fresno and other places in the Central Valley. The position will equip LGBTQ youth of color with skills to advocate for safer communities and schools.
- Assist with logistics and outreach for monthly youth council meetings and related activities
- Assist with coordinating and facilitating Expression Not Suppression (ENS) youth conference planning meetings
- Support with preparation of curriculum and materials necessary for youth meetings
- Conduct workshops for LGBTQ youth and GSA leaders on educational justice and other issues at the intersections of racial, economic and queer justice
- Outreach youth participants for GSA Network hosted and collaborative events
- Develop relationships with local GSA Clubs and participate in school site visits
- When necessary represent GSA Network in local coalitions that advancing healthy school environments in the target areas
- Provide technical assistance and support to campaigns being run by GSA youth leaders in this region
- Assist in the recruitment and logistics for our GSA Summer Activist Camp. This is a 3-4 day overnight learning experience that includes anti-oppression curriculum, community organizing and leadership skills
- Other duties as assigned
- 1-2 years of youth organizing
- Knowledge about GSA clubs, LGBTQ youth issues, campaigns, organizing, facilitating, curriculum development, and racial, gender, and economic justice
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with people from a variety of different, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, educational, religious, sexual, gender, and generational backgrounds
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Time management, event planning, and writing skills
- Ability to connect with and interact with LGBTQ youth of color
- Ability to work evenings and weekends to accommodate school schedules
- Driver’s license and access to reliable car with insurance a plus
Send cover letter and resume via RecruiterBox.
Applications are being accepted until February 28, 2018. Start date for this position will be March 12, 2018 or earlier.
Equal Opportunity Employer: GSA Network is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from youth, people of color, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and people with disabilities.