Californians for Justice (CFJ) is a statewide grassroots organization working for racial justice by building the power of youth, communities of color, immigrants, low-income families, and LGBTQ communities. Led by students, we organize to advance educational justice and improve our social, economic, and political conditions.
CFJ is a unique and exciting organization. We are the only grassroots organization in California that organizes youth to have a voice in both local and statewide education policy. Our campaign and policy reform goals at the local and statewide levels include adequate and equitable school funding, college and career readiness, and ending the "school-to-prison pipeline". We lead the Student Voice Campaign, a statewide alliance of organizations working to ensure the voices of students are heard, valued, and reflected in decisions that affect them. Recent statewide victories include a requirement for districts to include student input in school budgeting through our Student Voice Campaign in 2014, and the passage of the historic Local Control Funding Formula in 2013. Our local offices have won several key changes in their school districts, from expanding a "Race and Social Justice" ethnic studies course to the elimination of discriminatory discipline policies and securing more college preparatory classes. CFJ currently has four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland and San Jose, 14 full-time equivalent staff and a budget of $1.33 million.
The Organizer will manage CFJ's grassroots organizing work in Fresno, leading and coordinating base building & leadership development coordination and activities with high school students, and participating in CFJ's local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, alliance work, and electoral organizing.
The Organizer reports to the Lead Organizer in Fresno and works closely with the other CFJ regional organizers. The position is full-time and exempt. In all duties and responsibilities, this position exercises discretion and independent judgment.
- Conduct regular base building activities with high school students including: school outreach, classroom presentations, phone banking, establishment of school-based chapters and maintaining a healthy base of students at said chapters, etc.
- Lead Fresno's leadership development work through weekly student leader meetings, skills building sessions, coordination of regular one-on-one check-ins, and political education.
- Lead Fresno's leadership development tracking, oversee our membership numbers and each member's individual leadership goals.
- Supervise high school interns and build their leadership skills.
- Support our local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, and electoral organizing.
- Participate in ally events and meetings to build and maintain CFJ's visibility and community solidarity.
- Organization-wide responsibilities: Participate in all grassroots fundraising campaigns and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation. Participate in cross-department committees and teams. Rotating meeting facilitation and notetaking. Provide support and participation for organization-wide and regional campaigns and events.
- Two or more years of experience leading youth organizing efforts and/or educational advocacy.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice and youth empowerment.
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills, particularly with high school students. Ability to energize, inspire, and move young people to action.
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks and projects.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and a variety of applications. Familiarity with Mac operating system is a plus.
- California driver's license, insurance, and regular access to a 4-5 seat passenger car.
- Available to work flexible hours, including afternoons and occasional evening and weekend events.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: action research, campaign strategy, curriculum development, alliance building, media outreach, grassroots fundraising, and educational policy.
- Fluency in Spanish.
This position will work out of CFJ's office in Fresno.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Send a resume and a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications to email@example.com.