Internship: LGBTQ+ Initiatives at UC Merced
Job Category: Administrative/Clerical
Unit: Office of Student Life
Position Code: TOSL5863A
Number of positions open: 1
Hours per week: 15
Closing Date: 03/13/2015
Location: Campus Site
The LGBTQ+ Initivitves Intern will play a crucial role in the development of the LGBTQ+ initiatives at UC Merced and will work under the supervision of the Coordinator of LGBTQ+ Initiatives to develop, plan, implement, and evaluate LGBTQ+ programs, trainings and events.
• Assist in planning and execution of LGBTQ+ Initiatives, including but not limited to LGBTQ+ History Month, National Coming Out Day, Transgender Day of Rememberance, Worlds AIDS Day, Day of Silence, Pride Week, and Lavendar Graduation.
• Plan, organize, implement and evaluate the programs each semester that are aligned with the mission of LGBTQ+ Initiatives as approved by the Coordinator.
• Maintain marketing efforts and effective social media outreach to publicize LGBTQ+ Initiatives.
• Meet with the Coordinator weekly and as necessary to discuss progress.
• Prepare and manage assessment data, including the creation of comprehensive reports.
• Coordinate outreach efforts and serve as a liaison to promote collaboration with campus and community partners.
• Submit end-of-semester and end-of-year reports.
• Represent OSL and LGBTQ+ Initiatives at assigned functions and events.
• Assist OSL in programs/event planning and implementation.
• Assist with OSL front desk duties as needed.
Other duties as assigned.
Students will be selected based upon their leadership experience and interest and passion for LGBTQ+ advocacy, education and/or intercultural dialogue.
Additional requirements include:
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively in one-on-one and group settings.
• Ability to work within the mission of OSL and LGBTQ+ Initiatives.
• Demonstrate general understanding of heteronormativity, homophobia, transphobia, the social construction of sex and gender and social justice.
• Must have a flexible work schedule and ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
• Ability to multi-task and effectively manage time.
• Must be able to work in collaborative environment.
• Ability to create appealing publicity for programs, events, and services.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality when appropriate and to refer students to appropriate services on campus as necessary.
• Working knowledge of desktop publishing software and PC/Macintosh computers.
• Must be available prior to the beginning of the Fall semester for OSL Student Staff Training (specific dates TBD).
• Must have and maintain a minimum of a 2.3 cumulative GPA.
This position does not discriminate by gender, gender identity/expression or sexual orientation.
As of January 1, 2014 the University of California, Merced will be a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at
The University of California at Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff and students.
For more information:
Angela Baxter - Stdt Life & Dev Spec 3